Monday, March 14, 2011

Dance, Dance, Dance

Your Momma never told you to dance your way to happiness.

I recently attended a stress relief seminar at work.. One of the major things that caused me stress in the morning was trying to get my kids up and moving at a quick pace. The stressful routine started with me going to their rooms each morning and saying…”Time to get up.” I would say this in a nice way the first three times and then I would begin to get angrier and angrier every time I repeated the phrase. By the tenth time of saying “Time to get up”, I would be on the brink of screaming. I would then recite a list to my kids of all the things I had to do that morning to get them to school and to get myself to work. I would start to panic that I was going to be late to work and lose my job. Then, I would imagine we had no money and I would go through my emergency plans in my mind of how I would make ends meet. I would spiral into a full blown anxiety attack and while all of this was going on…my kids would still be laying in the bed with the covers over their heads.

Let’s face it ladies..this was not working so I decided to make the change. One of the suggestions the speaker suggested to reduce stress was to dance every day for at least 10 minutes. After attending the seminar, I decided to implement a morning dance into my morning routine. I went home that day and downloaded upbeat hip hop songs to my Ipod and played them in the next morning. I put on my old college favorite...The Show…by Doug E Fresh and immediately began to dance in the kitchen. My mood completely changed...I normally dreaded the mornings...but this particular day I was happy and excited. I was jamming and dancing while cooking breakfast….having a good time. Within a matter of minutes a little face appeared with a big smile on her face. Then the second little face appeared and next thing I knew my daughters and I were having a morning dance party in the kitchen. We even got the dog to join in with us. That is right…I did not even half to say a word to my children. They came to join the party.

Now, each morning....dancing has became a fun start to the day. We dance and laugh every morning for about 10 to 15 minutes…and then we dance our way to our rooms to get dressed.

Ladies…I am more relaxed and excited about the day since I have begun dancing in the morning. My children are happier and look forward to hearing what I am going to play the next day. Ladies…I challenge you to try dancing in the morning, dancing with your children, and dancing with your spouse or significant other on a regular basis. I guaranteed you will feel happy and more relaxed each day.

Till next time ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment