Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Are you rhe person you most admire?

Your Momma never told you....if asked the question...Who do you most admire? The answer should be yourself.

I spend a lot of time writing on a computer writing at work. There is often complete silence for hours and hours in my department The only thing you can hear is the people thinking, reading, or writing....all day long. As you can imagine...the quiet can be almost unbearable at times.

For fun, one of my co-workers emailed a survey to all of the employees in my department to generate some excitement and to break up the day. The "Get to Know You" survey consisted of  a list of twenty oddball questions designed to let everyone know about each other. "Where is the farthest place you have traveled?" "Ketchup or Mustard?" "What is your favorite movie?" You get the picture. When I took the survey, I found the last question to be the most interesting. "Who do you most admire?"

Ladies....when I came to this question, I put down the first person that came to mind. Me. Ladies, this is not to say I do not admire my mother or father or Maya Angelou...or my friend who fought cancer so bravely. I most certainly do. Ladies....I am just at a point in my life where I can say that I admire all that I am and all that I do each day of the week as a woman, as an ex-wife, as a co-worker, as a mother, as a sister, as a aunt, as a friend, girlfriend, as a lover, and as a mother. I am not perfect by no means but ladies...I can say that I TRY to do my best to do the right thing. I can say that I admire myself for being a fighter and a survivor of all of the things that has happened over the last forty years. I have taken the punches that life can throw...and I am still standing and still enjoying the ride. I know who I am and I like who I am.

When thinking about this question, a young woman came to mind. She spent a lot of time in bed and quite frankly in denial. She said she felt hopeless and powerless.  I spent hours talking to this woman. I encouraged her to get help and to get out of  her abusive situation. Ladies...I could see in her eyes each time I spoke to her...she did not admire herself at all. Her self esteem was at an all time low and she was overcome with sadness. Ladies...the young woman I am speaking of....is me...many years ago. I thank God to this day...I am no longer that woman.

Ladies....the results of our survey revealed that only one person other person gave the same response I did to that question. Maybe the other forty three people did not want to seem arrogant. Maybe they truly admired their parents (which was the most popular answer) or maybe...the answer "Myself" never even entered their minds.

Ladies...who is the person you most admire? Is it you? Are you even on the list?

Till Next Time Ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment