Thursday, September 9, 2010

Don't let a Wheelchair Move For You

Your Momma never told you that you in order to stay out of a wheelchair....exercise every day.

My daughters learned how to ride horses this year at a farm near our home. One day I was picking the kids up when a woman jogged up sweating bullets. Her daughter came out and said...."Mom, you jogged all the way here?" The woman said "Of course, lets go"...and the two of them walked out of the barn, up the hill, around the corner, and I presume home.

I stood there in shock. It never ever has crossed my mind to jog to any place much less to pick my kids up from a riding lesson. I don't jog to the store, or the school, or to my girlfriends. It just never crossed my mind. The woman jogger was fit as a fiddle...and she was my age (at least). She looked so healthy and radiant....even through the sweat. So, I decided to start to jog. I went to the local track and started to walk. I figured I would work up to jogging. Actually, back in the day, I used to be an exercise fanatic but in the last few years... life... has taken over my love of exercise....anyway, I felt I was ready to get back on track. ( no pun intended). As I was walking, a 65 + year old man jogged by me...this man's legs were perfection. I know it sounds crazy but his legs were tight like a 25 year olds. It was clear he was aging pretty well. It was clear he was fit and still moving. Needless to say, I was inspired and began to walk faster. I thought to myself, I want to be able to move like that in my late 60's and 70's.

In Raquel Welch's book, Beyond the Cleavage, she says you must get in the game of aging. You must keep moving and exercising because if you don't you will be using a cane, a wheel chair, or a walker. And let's face it...I don't care if Raquel has had surgery or not...she looks fantastic for 70. She says, for her, yoga is the key but the bottom line is you have to find something you love and keep doing it. Don't stop. Workout every day to keep the bones moving.

As we age ladies...your body does as well...you have to take care of it every day...like you would your house, or your car, or your children. So don't slack off ladies...make time every day to do something...walk, jog, weights, dancing...whatever it takes. Keep moving so you don't end up using a wheelchair to move for you.

Till Next Time Ladies

1 comment:

  1. I use a wheelchair and exercise. Just did a 1/2 marathon last weekend and headed to a full one on 10/31. MOVE LADIES!!!

    ReplyDelete