Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pretending is For Girls Under 10

Your Momma never told you that pretending is for girls under 10.

I was talking to my boyfriend about heartbreaks and I thought of a man I was engaged to previously. I had dated this man for four years. Ladies...you know sometimes you can eat, drink, and sleep a man....well...that was pretty much what I did. Year after year after year....but the funny thing was...he never felt the same about me...and I knew it....but I chose to pretend he did.

I truly gave and was willing to give ...everything I could to this man and then finnaly the day came and he asked me to marry him. When I got the inexpensive ring...I pulled it out...and he said...while sitting on the floor...."Well girl...you know what that means." That was it ladies....the most romantic proposal I have ever gotten...well up until that day. It was such a let down...so sad and without passion....so I pretended to hear..."I love you..and can't imagine my life without you...will you marry me?"  I pretended there were flowers...red roses...and we were on the shore of my favorite Carribean beach. I pretended the ring was a custom made diamond that he searched all over town for.

So I took the ring... put it on my finger...and pretended it was a real proposal...and said yes. I remember asking him when we could get married....for me...tomorrow was not soon enough....remember...I ate, slept, and drank...this "tall drink of water".  He, on the other hand, said in a panicked voice..."We have to be engaged at least a year. That is the rule." Well, I should have seen the hesistation in his eyes...actually, it had been there for years...but I chose to ignore it...and just hoped for the best.

Needless to say, a year later, we weren't married. Needless, to say...we never got married. The truth was I was not for him....and he was not for me...and that is ok. We both survived the disappointment. But ladies..the point is...don't waste time pretending something is great...when it really is not. Learn to hear exactly what is said....don't pretend not to see or hear something and hope for the best. Look at the reality...and don't waste your time pretending.

Till Next Time Ladies....

No comments:

Post a Comment