Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Don't Let the Piano Lessons Go To Waste

Your Momma never told you...don't waste piano lessons.

When I was young I took piano lessons for about 10 years. I actually was pretty good at reading music but not so good at playing by ear. I was always the last to perform in recitals because I was the best student. When I went to college I stopped playing piano. I just lost interest I guess and I had pretty much learned all I could learn. I could pick up any sheet of music, read it, and eventually play it with practice of course. I saw no need to continue. Throughout the years, I dabbled here and there when I came across the piano but never really took it up again.

Fast forward to today. I went to visit my uncle in North Carolina recently. My uncle who is 75 years old told me of how when he was young, my grandparents could not afford to give him lessons....so he sat at the piano and taught himself. My uncle eventually earned his doctorate in music and was the head of a music department and band director at a college in North Carolina for over 30 years. While at his house we sat together and played his electric piano and marimba. It had been awhile since I sat down but it all started to come back again....and I started thinking maybe I should get the girls piano lessons.

When I came home I looked into piano teachers for the girls but then I thought ..why pay $25.00 a lesson when I could teach them for free. I went to the music store and bought a beginner's book and started giving lessons to the girls once a week. I thought I would not have time but I am spending the time and energy it would have taken to drive them to and from piano lessons.

Ladies...if you have a skill or talent, take the time to teach your kids. I started to think about all of the things I participated in over the years...cheerleading, track, piano, violin, karate, yoga, basketball, volleyball, kickball, softball, etc.....and I have so many things I can teach my kids....and I can lose a couple of pounds in the process. Next up...tennis!

Till next time ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment