Friday, August 6, 2010

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

Your Momma did not tell you to treat your hair like an accessory.

I am known for changing my hairstyle regularly. In fact, my companion says he feels like he is dating several women because of my different looks. At work, my co-workers are amazed at the different styles I sport. Short one day...long the next...they never know what I am going to look like each day. I treat my hair likc an accessory...and I dress it up or dress it down...depending on my mood.

One day my co-worker who was battling cancer at the time approached me. She was wearing a terrible old wig because she was embarrassed about her hair loss. She told me she had cut her hair short but was not sure if she should take off her wig. She was worried what people would think of her hair. She came to me because she saw me with so many differnt styles...hair pieces, wigs, extensions...whatever. She wanted my opinion as well as what she called..."my courage".

I told her..."Joan...you are in the midst of a health crisis...who cares about your hair. Take off the wig and wear your hair like you want too."

I told her if she wanted to wear a wig one day and take it off the next...it was up to her. I told her to think of her hair as an accessory...you can change it whenever you want. I told her now was the time to have the hair she always wanted...long black, curly red, medium blond...whatever. I encouraged her to do what she felt best doing...and not to worry about other people. I certainly don't!

The next week, Joan, took off her wig and revealed a cute pixie blond style. Honestly, Joan looked 15 years younger. Everyone told Joan how great she looked and you could see she was feeling very good about herself. She told me she had purchased another updated wig for special occasions.

My point ladies...we live in a time where you can where your hair however you want. If you want long hair, short hair, brown hair, red hair, curly hair, straight hair...you can have it. Ladies...if you don't like your hair...change it....and if you have had the same style for over two years...it's time for a new look. Think of your hair as an accessory and have fun with it.

Till Next Time Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment