Monday, August 2, 2010

The Skinny B

Your Momma never told you don't let anyone call you a SKINNY BITCH!

When I was in my 20's I went to a comedy show in downtown Baltimore. The headliner was Monique. I was there with a striking date who was full of himself...so wouldn't you know it...Monique spotted him in the crowd. "Hey good looking" she said to him...."Who are you here with?" shaking her hips. I could see his head beginning to grow even larger in size right before my eyes as Monique began to flirt with him.

He gestured towards me and Monique said...."You are here with that SKINNY BITCH! You need a real woman that got some meat on her like me." Everyone laughed but me because I knew what was coming. For the rest of the two hours, the SKINNY BITCH (Me) was the bud of every joke. "STAND UP SKINNY BITCH!" She yelled throughout the show. "SKINNY BITCH! SKINNY BITCH!" ...all night long. My date...just laughed and enjoyed the off and on flirting by Monique. I on the other hand, was humiliated. To this day...when anyone mentions Monique...I can hear the echo of her voice yelling "SKINNY BITCH!SKINNY BITCH!" And for the record...I did not see Precious...or any other movie she was in...except for Two Can Play That Game because I love Morris Chestnut.

Anyway ladies...I learned two things from that evening. If you don't like how you are being treated...even at a comedy show...get up and go home. I did not like being called SKINNY BITCH over 30 times...and I did not like my date laughing and flirting all night....but at the time I was young with no self esteem...so I suffered and took the abuse. That is right ladies...I put myself through suffering...I could have just left.

The second lesson I learned is to stand up for myself. Ladies...I would never suggest taking on a professional comedian...but I sure could have given a verbal lashing to my date. Ladies...if a man does not defend you when you are taking verbal abuse or are simply uncomfortable...which is what this was...you know where you stand on the respect chain....and let's face it...he was treating me like a "SKINNY BITCH".

Till Next Time Ladies.

2 comments:

  1. I have never liked Monique because she glorifies being fat! Good for her that she's comfortable with her weight, but it's not attractive or healthy so why glorify it?
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back and apply the wisdom we have gained over the years and apply it to the situations we found ourselves in when we were younger?! Thanks for sharing that experience. I hope the young ladies will heed your advice!

    ReplyDelete