Friday, August 13, 2010

Our House Is Not on Fire

Your Momma never told you....know when your house is on fire and when it is not.

In the past two weeks, I have been dealing with a number of family issues. These issues deal with a nutty ex and a nutty ex – in law. Without getting into the whole story, let’s just say neither is behaving at their best. My family and I have been upset by this behavior and complaining about our problems to one another. We really began to wallow in our problems and let them over take us. We kept saying could it get any worse?….and wouldn’t you know….God answered….oh yes it can be worse. I was shown in two instances how my problems could be a whole lot worse.

First, at a prayer meeting I attended recently, many people stood up to ask for prayer. Some were sick, some were dealing with a death in the family, one person’s brother had been murdered, another woman had lost her home and her job and had been diagnosed with a serious illness…it was really overwhelming. When you hear people such despair…it really put my problems…or so called problems in perspective. After hearing everyone speak, I was embarrassed to stand up and talk about my problem As a matter of fact, I was no longer upset about my problem but thankful for my problem. Now ladies….it was a problem…don’t get me wrong…but compared to the life fires that I had just heard about...it was something I could handle.

Second, the other day we awoke to a terrible thunderstorm. Lightning and thunder were crashing all around our house….the kids were scared but I assured them we were in our house and we were safe. Just then lightning hit the house across the street. In minutes, the house was engulfed in flames and burned straight to the ground. (It was vacant and for sale). The kids became panicked and swore our house was going to burn down too….and to be honest…I went into a panic myself. I started dialing 911 and running around in circles. It really was not my best "calm" Mommy moment. My daughter fell to her knees and began praying to the Lord to save us….even though our house was not on fire. She thought lightning was going to strike again…and that we were next. I went to her and told her to thank the Lord...because we were safe.  I calmed every down including myself… as I realized….our house was NOT on fire…in other words…we were fine. I assured my children that we had a blanket of protection around us and we were safe.

As I drove to work later that day...I started to think what if our house had burned down....what would have been lost, where would we have gone, what would we have done. Ladies, I learned real quick to be thankful for my problems....because it could be a lot worse. I was shown that we really had no problems….in an instant we could have lost our home, our belongings, and most important each other….in an instant we could loose our health or be a victim of crime but as of today….we were fine. After those experiences, I thanked God for the problems I had….because in comparison to how it could be….we were doing just fine....and our house is NOT on fire.





Till Next Time Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment