Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Lesson of Bubbles The Goldfish

Your Momma never told you....

Ladies...I had a cookout this weekend with friends and family. Janie, a friend of my daughter's was one of the guest. Janie, is a very strong willed sneaky child. She can be very sweet but she has to be watched at all times. During the cookout, I noticed my daughter and Janie were nowhere in sight. I went to my daughter's room and there they were. Janie, had decided she wanted to play with Bubbles, my daughter's goldfish. Janie, had Bubble's in her hands and was playing with him like he was a marble.

"Put that fish back in the bowl!" I squealed. Janie complied. I sent Janie to go wash her hands and to go back downstairs with the other guest. My daughter remained behind. I sat my daughter down and asked her why on earth she would allow Janie to play with her fish...out of the bowl. I explained Bubbles could have been injured or could have lost a fin. Looking at Bubbles...it was clear Bubbles was traumatized as he shook in one place in the bowl.

My daughter said she told Janie "NO" but Janie insisted. And ladies...this is where it starts. This is when some young girls learn NO does not necessarily mean NO to some people. I explained to my daughter that when she says NO that it should be respected...and if someone does not respect your NO...they are not a friend. Moreover, I insisted she learn to stand up for herself because there will be plenty of times she will run into people who will test her "NO"...and in the case of Bubbles...she did not step up and protect him or her property.

Ladies...I was so thankful I was there to teach this lesson to my daughter early...and I fully intend on helping her grow a backbone now...and learn to say NO and mean it. It is best she learn the power of NO now and not when a boy has her in the back of car...and baby makes three.

Ladies....look for opportunities to give life lessons to your children early before...real consequences can occur.

Till Next Time Ladies....

No comments:

Post a Comment