Friday, July 23, 2010

SHHHHHH!

Your Momma never told you....silence is an answer.

I don't know when it started but for some reason I have always thought I was required give a response or full explanation when someone asked me something. But over time I have come to realize...no answer is an answer. Sometimes....giving a response of silence...says way more than trying to stumble through an explanation....that quite frankly...I don't feel like giving.

For example, this morning my daughter asked me two times to go to the store to buy her playing cards. I told her I did not have time to get cards this morning and the answer was no. She persisted. Finally, she asked again and I just looked at her and responded with silence. Suddenly, it dawned on her...my mother is not going to get the cards...nor is she going to discuss this any further. My daughter actually responded to my silence with an "ok"....and walked away.

This type of response also works with men as well...I remember when I was married...I shared a bathroom with my daughters while my ex had his own bathroom...the master. I always cleaned the bathroom I shared with the girls but I left him to clean his own. One day he saw me cleaning and said when are you going to clean my bathroom?....I responded with silence. He softened it by saying...I mean if you are cleaning...you could clean my bathroom also. I again responded in silence. You see the reason we did not share a bathroom was because when I cleaned it..he would immediately destroy it. We were constantly fighting about cleaning it...so I gave up. So in my mind...why should I get into this again...it is over...there is no need to give a response. Needless to say, he left it alone.

Ladies...remember...you don't have to be harrassed, bullied, or coerced into giving a responsed that you don't want to or need to. Remember silence is also a response.

Till Next Time Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment