Monday, May 10, 2010

Perfect Mother vs Therapy

Your Momma never told you there is no such thing as a perfect mother....realize you are going to make mistakes that is why they invented therapy.

I was so upset the other day when I caught one of my children in a lie. I continually asked her if she cut my tomatos and she repeated no. She even put her hand in the air as if she was swearing on a Bible (even though I don't think she fully understood what she was gesturing). I was so disappointed. I almost started to cry. How could I be raising a liar for a child? Would she be a liar forever? Maybe I was not holding her accountable for her actions? Was she still angry about the divorce? Maybe I should have stayed in my marriage? I became obsessed with all of the questions.

Then I realize, no one handed me a book of instructions with my daughter's name on it. For the most part, it has been trial and error. It is impossible to forsee how my choices, what I say, how I parent, what I feed her, what school I chose for her, what chores she has to do, how I handle discipline, or what I do will impact each of my children. All I can do is my best.

So I decided when I make a mistake, I will try to fix it. When I don't know how to handle a situation, I will read or go to a professional for help on parenting. And finally, if my daughter ever comes to me one day and says Mom you screwed up when raising me....I will pay for 1 year of therapy and call it a day. Enough of trying to be the perfect mother....I am just going to be the best I can...knowing I am going to screw up something...that is all I can do.

Later ladies!

2 comments:

  1. I Think you should begin to make daily YouTube videos based on your blog content to share with other young ladies. go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip...Miss Bossy...will do!

    ReplyDelete