Saturday, May 22, 2010

Watch Your Clock

Your Momma never told you...watch your biological clock and time when you should have kids.

I was watching the Joy Behar show the other night and a few women were on talking about having kids in their late 40's. They said women were choosing to have a career first and having kids later in life...and they all thought this was a great idea. They discussed all the reasons why this was a good idea...men do it afterall...why can't women...right?

Wrong Ladies! These types of stories falsely lead women to believe that when they are ready to have kids...no matter how old ...they will be able too. The thing these women left out of the conversation is that you need tens of thousands of dollars, a lot of patience, medication with side effects, and top medical care to get pregnant later in life. It is not free or easy or fun.

Ladies...don't believe the hype. Your body is not made like a mans...your egss get old and die. If you have reached 30 and have not have a child...go to your doctor and get a clear understanding of your reproductive options and take control of your fertility.

I decided to get pregnant after being married two years. I was 31. After a year of trying, I went to the doctor and discovered I had problems. I only ovulate six times a year instead of the normal 12 because one of my tubes was blocked completely. Bottom line...it was unlikely I would ever get pregnant. After a few procedures, prayer, and continuous sex...I had my first child at 33 1/2. My point...I was lucky and only 31. What if I had waited until 35 or 40? I would have had options such as egg donation, invitro fertilization, surragacy, or adoption...but they all cost money. Lots of money.

Ladies...this is a wake up call. Don't believe these stars on TV that show up with twins at 44 as if it happened naturally. Take control of your fertility, know your options, and know the statistics so you can plan appropriately.

Til Next Time Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment