Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'll Be Back

Your Momma did not tell you, I will never go away...I'll be back.

My mother died suddenly of a heart attack when I was 20 years old. Over the years I have missed not being able to go to her about dating, career choices, marriage, children, divorce...etc. I had felt I had missed out on all of the life lessons she would have taught me during my adult years....then along came the birth of my second daughter, Moo Moo (nickname).

When I gave birth to Moo Moo...the doctor pulled her out and held her in the air for me to see. The first thing I said was..."OMG it's my mother."
Moo Moo is the spitting image of my mother.

The first thing Moo Moo did when she born, was scream bloody murder. I later came to realize she was pissed she was pulled out of my stomach early and did not get to do it herself. (I had a C-section) Moo Moo is strong willed, wise beyond her years, and very intuitive....and very much like my mother.

When Moo Moo was about three she began to talk about her grandmother/my mother all the time. She would talk about her like she knew her...tell me how my mother was doing and how she was feeling on a particular day...it got so bad I took her to the doctor. I swore she was talking to my mother's ghost. He told me just to let her continue talking to Grandma and she would grow out of it eventually. He said he did not know if Grandma was there or not...that children sometimes have connections with dead people or she could just be making it up....I chose to believe she really had a connection....and listened intently when Moo Moo would mention her. I even tried to see my mother when Moo Moo would say she was talking to her...but honestly...I did not see a thing.

Moo Moo has been the most challenging child to raise and she has shown me the best and worst of myself. She has taught me so many life lessons about patience, self control, honesty, integrity, confidence, and understanding my emotions. Moo Moo always points out my flaws...if I promise something and do not keep my word, if I am too busy to play, if I interrupt her sentence, if I am not listening...and she helps me to change, grow, and become a better person every way.

With the passing of every day, Moo Moo looks more and more like my mother. She does not talk about her anymore but I know she is carrying my mother's spirit within her. My point ladies...when someone passes on...in my case, my mother...realize he/she never truly leaves. Look for his or her spirit in your children. Listen for the messages that are delivered from those who have passed in the actions and words of your children. Continue to learn the life lessons ...and let the legacy live on.

Till next time ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment