Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Ok to Take Drugs

Your Momma never told you...it's ok to take drugs.

My sister had both of her children naturally. She even played cards with friends until she dialated about 8 centimeters. She was a true warrior....so when it came my turn to give birth...of course I had planned to go natural as well. She told me it would hurt but I would live through it...I had to be mentally tough.

With my first child, I had a planned C-Section due to placenta previa...a dangerous condition that can cause death during delivery....I made an appointment...like at the hairdressers....went in...got drugged..and out came J. J. (nickname). I did not have any contractions. I did not feel a thing. It was quiet and peaceful.

With my second child, I did not have any physical problems. I was told that I could have another C-Section or a natural birth. I was excited at having the option to go natural. One night...I felt a sharp pain shoot through my pelvis and it increased moment to moment...until it peaked and then it slowly subsided.

My first thought was..."Uh Oh! Is this what women go through for hours and hours?" I can only describe the pains that occurred thereafter as a knife being dug in my back ...twisted, twisted, twisted, and then being pulled out....and then the knife was put back in again...twisted, twisted, and twisted...and then pulled back out.....over and over and over.

After about an hour of the contractions, I told my then husband..."I am ready to go to the hospital. I am going to need drugs." My then husband gave me the old toughen up speech...real women don't take drugs speech...and it when in one ear and out the other...down the street and around the corner. He told me to drink apple juice and I would be fine. I looked at him like he had three heads. Did he actually think he could speak on the subject of contractions?

Anyway, we get to the hospital and I was put in a private room. I could hear the woman across the hall screaming for drugs...she was out of her head with pain. It was awful. A man walked by and said..."Thank God for women." Then a nurse came in my room shaking her head. She must have saw the frightened look on my face because she started talking..."I told her to take the epidural...now it's too late." She asked me did I need anything...I said.."I want an anesthesiologist, I am ready for my C-section." Ladies...I just did not see the point of going through all of that pain...when I could be drugged, deliver the baby, and be asleep within an hour.

My point ladies...everyone's pain threshold is different. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Don't let anyone tell you what choices you make when delivering your child. If you can go natural, do it...if you need drugs...take them. The real test of womanhood comes after the baby is born...that's when the real work begins.

Till Next Time Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment