Thursday, June 3, 2010

You May Be Followed

Your Momma never told you...you may be followed...so be alert.

I work a few blocks from the Baltimore Harbor so one day I decided to go shopping during my lunch break. It was a beautiful summer day....not too hot. A cool breeze from the harbor filled the air as people hussled and bussled about their day. Unfortunately, I didn't find the pair of black stilletto pumps I was looking for so I headed back to the office.

On the way back, a man came up from behind me very close and tripped me. I stumbled and turned around. He excused himself and mumbled something about being in a hurry. I remembered his face because he looked like a very young Chris Tucker..from the movie Rush Hour. I crossed the street and kept on walking. I continued to take in the breeze and the sunshine....completely oblivious to the fact that the "Chris Tucker" look alike was following me. As a matter of fact, as a video tape showed later, he had been following me for quite sometime.

I work in a tightly secured building...well, let me take that back. You must have security badges to enter the elevator area but anyone can walk through the front door. At the time, Emma, a large woman, dressed in a security outfit, was eating her lunch at the security desk. I emphasize she was DRESSED as a security guard but I don't think she was securing much of anything.

As I entered the double doors, "Chris" appeared behind me. Immediately, my long skirt went up in the air and a flash of light filled the door area. I got through the doors and turned around and stared Chris in the eyes.
Now ladies...you know I always have something to say but all I could get out was a whisper..."Did you just take a picture of my ass?" I uttered. Ladies, I think I was in complete shock. I could feel my heart pounding with fear. Meanwhile Emma, looked up from her sandwich and gazed towards me. There was no movement from anyone except "Chris" who ran out of the door and down St. Paul St.

All I felt was total humiliation. Emma put down her Subway meal and said something like "Are you okay?". I did not reply. I quickly accessed the elevator and went upstairs to my desk. I sent an email to my boss advising him I was just a victim of upskirting and I would be not be attending the meeting at 1:00 pm....instead I would be in the women's bathroom hiding from embarrassment and crying.

The police were called...and blah blah blah...long story short...he was never caught. But ladies...I learned several lessons from the experience.

1. Never walk alone. It is a sad day in America when you can't even walk down the street but we can't ladies...you never know who is watching you. To some men...we are just tits and ass...something to be exploited.

2. Learn self defense. What if Chris had thrown me down in an alley? Ladies..as much as I think I would have fought back...my whisper told me...I was not prepared for an attack. I immediately purchased a tape and books on self defense. I educated myself on protection and now carry dog mace...that's right ladies...if a "dog/man" attacks me or takes a picture of my ass (without my knowledge, of course) ...they are going down.

3. There ARE crazies among us. Ladies...know your surroundings. I had on a very conservative outfit that day...cardigan, long skirt, and tennis shoes...and was walking in broad daylight...but still I attracted "Chris Tucker". As I have said in a previous post, sick people are walking the street and they may even look like a movie star. Beware and be alert to what is going on around you at all times...They are out there!!!!!

Till Next Time Ladies...be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment